One of Apple’s accessories, AirPods, which came at a difficult time for iPhone users, in which they saw the Jack connector disappear, has become a success for the company. Although few expected something like this, especially for the price of these, it is impossible to deny that they have managed to start a trend towards this type of headphones. But can the AirPods be connected to the PS4?
“Use your favorite headphones with your favorite gaming system”
What you should know
- The PS4 doesn’t support Bluetooth audio or headphones by default, so you can’t connect AirPods (or other Bluetooth headphones) without accessories.
- If you connect a third-party Bluetooth adapter to your PS4, you can use AirPods.
- Even once you use AirPods with PS4, you can’t do things like chat with other players.
This article explains how to connect any AirPods model to the PS4, including what accessories you will need to purchase and what features are not supported.
What You Need To Connect AirPods to PS4
Believe it or not, but the PS4 does not support Bluetooth audio out of the box. This means that you cannot connect AirPods (or any other type of Bluetooth headphones) without purchasing accessories. If you try to connect AirPods to PS4 without an adapter, the PS4 will be able to detect them and you will go through all the pairing steps only to see that the process fails at the last step.
To avoid this, you need to get a PS4 Bluetooth adapter that supports Bluetooth audio that you can connect to the console.
The instructions in this article apply to all AirPods models: 1st generation AirPods, AirPods with wireless charging case, and AirPods Pro.
How To Connect AirPods to PS4
Follow these steps to use a Bluetooth adapter to connect AirPods to PS4:
- Make sure the AirPods are charged. If the Bluetooth adapter also uses a battery, make sure it is charged. (The AirFly Duo, for example, connects to the headphone jack of the PS4 controller, so it requires a battery. Other Bluetooth adapters connect to the USB ports of the PS4 and therefore do not need a battery.)
- Connect the Bluetooth adapter to your PS4.
- Put the Bluetooth adapter into pairing mode. The exact way you do this depends on your device, so check the instructions that come with it.
- With the AirPods in their charging case, open the case and press and hold the sync button.
- Press and hold the button until the lights on the Bluetooth adapter stop flashing. This means that the AirPods are paired with the adapter.
- Confirm that your PS4 is sent to the AirPods by checking the PS4 settings. Go to Settings > Devices > Audio Devices.
- There are two important settings to change on the audio device screens :
- Output device: set the headphones connected to the controller (or the correct menu for the Bluetooth adapter).
- Headphone Out: Set to All Audio. You can also control the volume of the audio sent from the PS4 to your AirPods in the Volume Control (headphones) menu.
- With that done, you have already connected the audio from the PS4 to your AirPods and you are ready to play.
Although this article is specifically about connecting AirPods to PS4. Once you have a Bluetooth adapter, you can also connect any other type of Bluetooth device to PS4, not just AirPods.
Can You Use AirPods To Chat With Other Players on PS4?
Although this article explains how to connect AirPods to PS4. There is a limitation to this approach: you cannot chat with other players you are playing with. Even if the AirPods have a microphone (as anyone who has used them for phone calls knows). This is because most Bluetooth adapters only send audio from the PS4 to the headphones, but not the other way around. For that, you will need headphones specifically designed for the PS4 (or other game consoles).
Still, if all you want to do is listen to audio without disturbing anyone else, a Bluetooth adapter is a great option.
- Solar Panels: Are They Worth The Personal Investment? - August 18, 2022
- Garmin Watch Comparison: Which Garmin Watch is Best for Me - June 3, 2022
- Best Military And Rugged Smart Watches 2022 - June 3, 2022