Chilly winds and cold nights are the perfect set-ups for outdoor barbecue but how about taking a huge grill outside and looking after it… sounds tough? Well, it certainly is!
We know some people prefer to spend this season at beach houses or huts by lighting a bonfire but how to enjoy the experience of steaks and ribs if you can not carry your gas grill to the destination?
Well, with this exclusive buyer’s guide, you’ve got a way out of this problem!
Now you do not need to worry about purchasing the most suitable portable gas grill available on the market because we are here with the best portable gas grills of the season. It’s time to make your grilling experience delightful while saving you a lot of money!
No doubt many companies try to market their product as the best, but not all of them are veracious. For this reason, all you need now is to pay attention and read this guide thoroughly so that we can lead you to the best gas grill that not only takes care of your cooking preferences but is also a popular choice among the users.
Also, all of these grilling options are tested as well as highly recommended by the industry experts. Remember, expensive item does not always translate to efficiency.
So without further ado, let’s get right into it. But first, let’s talk about and understand the qualities one must look for when buying a portable gas grill.
Portable Gas Grills – Features to Look Out For Before Purchase
Since everyone has different priorities, so it’s important to make a checklist about what features will suit you the best, and then make a choice for such a long term investment.
Let’s take a look at some of the major features of a portable gas grill that you must look out for!
When you think about barbecuing or grilling, you need to go for a product that is simple to assemble and use. Getting a table-top grill means that you want your work to be minimum and the result to be just as satisfying and delicious as any high-rated restaurant. Therefore look for features that make the product easy-to-use.
For instance, many grills require lighter or matchstick to light but to remove this hassle, companies have now introduced auto-igniters that are safe and straightforward. Grills also require frequent maintenance and excessive cleaning, especially after use so look for products that have removable dip trays, stain-resistant grates, and covers, etc. to make your job easier.
Now, one question that you need to ask yourself before buying a gas grill is about the number of people you are planning to cater to with the product. Since table-top grills are small and portable, we hope you are not planning to host a giant house party with more than 30 people. So, make sure you give this aspect a thought.
Usually, the cooking surface is measured in square inches so draw a mental picture of how much space you need. For instance, 150 square inches can be used for 8 burgers at a time but still, there are many ranges to pick from. Some grills also have a warming rack that helps in keeping the food hot while you prepare side dishes or appetizers, so choose wisely.
Decide your budget before setting out for grill shopping. When you have a price range in mind, taking decisions gets easier and you can narrow down the features you find suitable.
Companies have multiple prices for the same set of qualities, but you need to think about what you consider important. Remember that brand matters but durability is far more important and since you do not buy these appliances every season, consider it a long-term investment and make a sound decision.
Now, this is a factor you should take into account the most. You are looking for a grill that is not just easy-to-use but also light enough for you to carry outdoors without a hassle. However, it depends on what you are planning to use it for.
If table-top grills are your choice because you want to fit the appliance inside your apartment, then weight might not be the deciding factor. But if you want to go boating or camping, then you need to test the portability of the equipment and its maintenance.
Thus, don’t forget to look out for the four major characteristics mentioned above before you purchase a portable gas grill.
Best Portable Gas Grills Reviews
**Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Now, let’s get straight to the products we have reviewed to help you make the right decision.
1. Cuisinart CGG-180T Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill (Amazon’s choice)
If you have been aware of the market for kitchen appliances, then you know that Cuisinart portable gas grill tops the chart. Their products are durable and have made a name among the users due to their high quality. Thus, this grill is no different. It may not be the best lightweight product on the list, but if you are planning to take a trip anytime soon, this should be your instant pick.
Ready to cook the family meal comprising 8 hamburgers, 8 steaks, 10 chicken breasts or around 4 lbs. of fish? If yes, get hold of this great grill right away. This compact and high performing gas grill can be put anywhere to get an amazing cooking experience.
The large enough cooking grate, great portability, grill lid latch, folding lags, and spill-resistant drip tray make it one of the most efficient grilling products on the market.
Made For All Seasons
Users usually complain that portable grills don’t work properly in the wind. But this is unlike Cuisinart Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill. No matter if it’s winters, summers or windy, the grill heats up and gets ready for grilling in just a minute. The grill cooks evenly and by keeping the lid closed, you don’t need to worry about weather conditions, impacting your food quality.
Compact Size with Maximum Efficiency
You may know the issues that come with small propane grills as it seldom cooks food evenly. This grill is the top of the line quality and cooks perfectly. All you need is to start a knob and enjoy grilling. It is solidly made, and the food remains intact even with open slits in the wind. The grill is known for cooking a surprising amount of food so avoid stressing over its size and give it a try before you claim it as your best purchases so far.
Here are some of the other best features:
- 145 square inches of grilling area that is a relatively small space for cooking but ensures quick and efficient heat transfer.
- 5 pounds
- fold-away legs, made of aluminum that have stability for permanent and secure setup
- 5500 BTUs burner
- Stainless steel
- Even heating porcelain-enameled grate that makes sure your heat is consistently distributed and makes cleaning afterward safe and simple as you can remove the grates
- Briefcase like handle
- Auto Ignition
- Easy to carry due to handle
- Easy to light and clean
- Quick heating
- Powerful heat transfer
- Smaller cooking space
- Only one burner with limited temperature variations
2. Cuisinart CGG-306 (Best Selling Professional Portable Tabletop Gas Grill)
Now if you’re looking for features of a full-sized gas grill but in a compact form, then once again Cuisinart is here to help you. This is more expensive than a usual gas grill, but the additional bonus features make the price worth it. The quality is as good as a highly professional restaurant and from meat slabs to burgers, you can cook anything on Cuisinart professional portable gas grill without worrying about space or heating system.
Stylish and Convenient
The grill has received tremendous reviews for its looks and performance. It is the best looking grill on the list as you can’t be wrong with stainless. It cleans up easily and is easy to use. The tabletop grill is perfect for tailgating or to take it anywhere and just set it on. Weighing less than 25 lbs., you may use it as a main-stay at home grill or simply bring it with you to summer campouts.
The grill is meant for outdoor use. It comes equipped with an efficient two-burner system. Each stainless steel burner gives 10K BTUs. The grill offers two temperature control knobs for both burners individually so that you can achieve different heat zones.
It may not be the lightest grill on the list, but it offers a great many features including a locking cover, comfortable carrying handle, and folding legs. There are also clips on each side of the lid to lock the grill. This makes it easy to keep the grill safe from weather conditions. For the construction, it is made of stainless steel and is long-lasting and easy to maintain for years without facing the hassle of rusting or corrosion.
Other great features include:
- 22 pounds
- 2 stainless steel burners
- 20 000 BTUs power system with electronic ignition and porcelain-enameled knobs for each stainless steel burner. Each stainless steel burner provides 10000 BTUs and allows for simultaneous grilling
- Stainless grate that provides enough space and heat retention to cook large cuts of meat
- Locking cover, folding legs, and the handle make it small enough to fit in a car, but it might take some space.
- An integrated thermometer and adjustable burner knobs that help control the heat of the grill. A twist-start automatic ignition means that matches are never required
- Works with a 20-pound tank of propane (bought separately)
- Easy to assemble
- Large cooking surface
- High-temperature option
- Temperature control via a thermometer
- Removable stainless steel grates
- Not ideal for camping
- Additional 20 pounds of propane tank
Recommended For You: Best Gas Grills Under $1500
3. Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 Portable TRU-Infrared Liquid Propane Gas Grill (Best for a Road Trip)
If frequent traveling is your forte and grilling is the company you need to make your experience delightful, then go with Char-Broil’s portable gas grill. This is one of the most durable products in our collection, and unlike other grills, it does not rust or give poor results even after excessive use. The product comes with a lot of easy to use features along with a highly portable structure for you to carry it around for camping or fishing so get it now!
Even at first glance, the grill looks impressive. It comes with a rugged look, is loaded with power and has a cast aluminum shell. The grill is not only cooking-efficient but also reliable and impressive to carry around. The design, however, requires special care in cleaning or you might end up clogging or blocking the airflow.
This grill to go has the perfect size to be used in your RV. It is big enough to party with a larger group of family and friends, and the infrared feature allows for cooking evenly at a lower temperature, thus, saving propane. Undoubtedly, it is one of the best portable BBQ grills that will surely be an improvement over your other tabletop BBQ or its competitors like Coleman perfect flow portable grill.
Excellent Quality Control:
Apart from sleek and improved design, the grill also has excellent quality control. Unlike, other Char-Broil grilling products that suffer from quality control, the grill has had no leaking regulators complaint.
To get the best results, attach a one-pound propane bottle while grilling and don’t forget to remove it once cooking is done. The grill is well-constructed and holds a lot of features and options that make it an advanced technology in a compact size.
Some of the other best features include:
- Cast aluminum firebox and life with dual stainless steel latches
- Temperature gauge to ensure accuracy
- Carry handles
- No flare-up with TRU-Infrared vision system. Most grills use hot air for cooking while Char-Broil incorporates heating that comes from a minimum of 65% infrared sources.
- 200 square inch stainless steel grilling grate, moderate size for a good amount of cooking
- Push-up ignition is built-in and requires no battery to function.
- Easy to clean
- Extremely durable
- Easy to carry due to sturdy handles
- Best portable gas grill for tailgating
- Even heat distribution due to Infrared feature
- Single burner provides limited options for temperature change
4. Coleman NXT Lite Tabletop Propane Grill (Best for Camping)
If you have decided to take a grill for camping, your first preference should be an appliance with a minimum amount of tools. Coleman portable grill masters in compact size grills and brings you a product that is known for providing the perfect outdoor grilling experience without even taking up much space.
The product has got some of the best reviews for quick and efficient cooking. The grilling product suits all styles of cooking and is easy to maintain.
Ease of Cleaning
Once the cooking is completed, let the grill get cool before starting cleaning. The grill is designed to provide extreme ease of cleaning. Simply detach the grill plates and wash them using soapy water. When cleaning the inside part, go with any thin cloth or rub moist using easy hand. Thankfully, all the parts can be removed instantly and cleaned thoroughly.
Solid Portable Grill
The grill is best for people who like to make their camping or trip a remarkable experience. The burners heat the food quite evenly and make it extra hot. The entire housing is heavy and solid. The grill is a great portable option especially if you have just a small camper or small storage space while traveling. It’s lightweight and reliable.
Other features comprise:
- Even with the compact size, the grill delivers 8500 BTUs of heat to ensure quick and efficient cooking
- 168 square inch to filling surface
- Swaptop interchangeable cooktops allow you to change to graters or stove grills
- Standard grilling surface
- Instant start button ignites grill without the need for a match or lighter
- Removable gates and removable drip tray helps get rid of the grease or other residues from cooking.
- Easy to clean
- Ideal for camping
- Versatile uses
- Can be paired with up to 5-gallon propane tank
- Smaller cooking area
5. Weber Portable Grill With Stand 50060001 Q1000 (Easy To Maintain)
Weber portable grill has already made a reliable name in the kitchen appliances market so it should not come as a surprise that this product is one of the best grills in the list. It makes the job extremely easy as it is already assembled, so you just need to take it out of the box, connect to supply and start cooking.
Weighing just at 27.5 lbs., it can easily be taken in and out of your car trunk or RV. The grill can cook veggies and meat in no time while the lid retains the moisture and flavor in the food.
When you can find all the major components in one place only then cooking becomes fun. The cast griddle is one of the examples of it. The grill cart is both foldable and durable. Also, gliding and sliding is certainly a great convenience and makes cooking a lot more manageable.
One of the major accessories of this grill is the propane adapter hose that allows you to utilize even bigger propane tanks.
One of the great advantages of buying this product is its sturdy construction. It is made of stainless steel and lasts for long without any hurdles. The grill has cast iron inside that holds a good reputation for sustainability. Not to mention, the lid material also made up of cast aluminum and the entire body is finished with titanium.
Relatively Low Heat
While it’s easy to get a weber portable grill to withstand, it is wise to go with a product that offers amazing benefits along with design and portability. Also, you can cook any food item including chicken breasts and steaks on it without taking additional time even in the absence of a large cooking surface. While low heat may sound like a con, it is indeed a reasonable feature.
Other noticeable features include:
- 25 pounds
- One stainless steel burner produces 85 000 BTU per hour
- 189 square inch total cooking area
- Porcelain enameled cast-iron cooking grates and cast aluminum lid and body
- Push-button ignition and independent control burner valve setting
- Uses disposable 14.1 or 16.4 oz. LP cylinder (sold separately) and grill must be preheated with burner high for 10-15 minutes. Cast iron is notorious for needing some more time for heat, but the retention of heat will make the color of your food outstanding.
- Easy to use as no assembling
- Dual interchangeable plates allow you to grill an use a griddle/stove plate at the same time
- High durability
- Larger knobs and grip handle
- Best drip-tray to escape grease
- Efficient porcelain coating, easy to clean
- Not ideal for long-distance traveling
- Requires preheating time
6. Cuisinart CGG-200B Table Top Grill (Excellent For Permanent Setup)
This is another Cuisinart product but what sets it apart from other items in our list is that the grill looks like a smaller version of a full size one. Even though it’s portable, the manufacturers have included enough storage space to make it a lot more efficient for traveling as well as domestic use.
The grill is popular for its sleek design as it is not only nice to look at or carry around but is also a high-performance grill.
Taking one step up when it’s about heat provided, the Cuisinart tabletop gas grill is manufactured with multiple foldable accessories. The contemporary matte silver sleek design resembles a suitcase, once closed, so that you can easily carry it in your car trunk, in any position.
This grilling model weighs around 32 pounds. While you may find it slightly above average considering its class, there is a good reason for it. The product comes with a porcelain-enameled cast-iron grill grate. This cast iron is known for enriching part of any cooking equipment that makes your meal tastier and more delicious with every cookout.
Excellent BTU Rating
The BTU rating of this propane burning system is set at 12K, and the grill comes with an easy to use and flexible twist-start ignition system that starts without failing. Also, an analog thermometer is built-in on the lid top that makes it even more accurate among other grilling products.
Other features include:
- 12 000 BTU
- Stainless steel burner
- Folding square side shelves on either side of the grilling surface. The shelves do not hinder the portability because you can just fold the back if you are not using the space.
- Built-in thermometer
- Porcelain-enameled grates
- Test-start igniter that cancels the use for matches or lighter
- Storage space
- Great design
- Quick ignition
- Easy Assemble
- Non-stick cooking due to porcelain coating
- Can work with smaller canisters or large 20-pound propane tanks
- Shelves minimize the cooking space
7. Giantex (Best Portable Gas Grill for Tailgating)
This product report makes it to our list because of the wild cooking space that can be used to cater to a considerable number of people. Because of its compact size, it is an ideal choice for road trips and camping, and you can use it in the balcony for throwing an in-house party.
The portable grill works just as perfectly as it looks. No doubt the product is manufactured from the ground up, packing a ton of amazing features in just a small form factor.
The feature that sets this grill apart from all other competing models is the power. The grill comes with 2 burners to produce a BTU of around 20000. While an average portable gas grill reaches somewhere around 10K to 13K, this gas grill is certainly quite a beast.
The grill is made of stainless steel and has a rather heavy look than what you will find personally. The portable gas grill is a lot lighter than it actually looks. For the additional features, it also comes with a thermometer built into the lid along with easily manageable folding legs.
Easy to Set Desired Temperature
Most users face the problem of the coarseness of the controls when it comes to other grills. However, the Giantex Propane tabletop is a great grilling option to set your desired temperature. The legs turn out even that also helps in maintaining even temperature.
Let’s take a look at some features of this grill:
- 26 pounds
- 2-burner stainless steel tabletop grill best for the BBQ grillers
- Two push-and-turn ignition burners for quick and easy start-ups
- 20 000 total BTUs with each burner independently adjustable
- Foldable legs
- CSA standard approved gas grills. It is lightweight and contains a locking hood for transport and storage
- Perfect for tailgating, camping, picnics
- Easy assembly
- Dual burners offer excellent heat control
- A large amount of cooking space
- Easy setup and integration
- Two easy-to-use burners
- 260 square inches of cooking area
- Amazing stainless steel construction
- Heavier than other grills
8. Masterbuilt Smoke Hollow PT300B (Outdoor Potable Propane Gas Grill)
If you want to purchase a product, specifically designed for camping, then Masterbuilt Smoke Hollow should be your ultimate choice. This grill is designed particularly for camping as it has a wide cooking space along with portability. The specialty of this grill is that it can be attached to a disposable one-pound tank that is easily available at camping stores and you are all set for a pleasant experience. However, this makes the options of making it permanent quite limited.
Best Cooking Surface
Many users who have purchased Masterbuilt Smoke Hollow gas grill adore its beauty and efficiency. The grill is a must-have if you plan to use it for grilling on a boat or if you wish to spend some quality time on the lake.
No matter if you are cooking cheeseburgers or hot dogs on the Smoke Hollow, it is indeed a pleasure as the cooked food is better than the one cooked in your backyard.
Long-Lasting Stainless Steel
This portable stainless steel gas grill is best for BBQ-grillers on the go. The durable and long-lasting steel construction helps you experience cooking wherever you’re going to enjoy it most. May it be camping, picnic, tailgating, boating or your backyard, the compact design with folding legs, locking lid and a big front carry handle makes this grill a lot more portable and easy to store or transport.
Other amazing features include:
- 305 square inches of total cooking surface with warming rack
- 10 000 BTU stainless steel burner that allows decently high temperature
- U shaped burner that distributes the heat evenly to the cooking surface, making sure it has more than one hotspot for good searing and grilling
- Foldable stainless steel legs
- The stainless steel drip tray
- Large cooking space
- Carrying handle and other portability features
- Burners allow maximum heat and even distribution
- Easy to maintain
- Long-lasting and durable stainless steel construction
- Compact design
- Only a single burner
- Only utilizes disposable one-pound tanks
9. Martin Portable Propane BBQ Gas Grill (Largest Grill on the List)
Despite being portable, this grill can cater to a huge number of people due to the cooking space and additional features that make grilling an amazing experience. The legs can be easily folded which makes it ideal for taking outdoors.
This propane portable BBQ grill comes with a well-structured burner that provides almost 1400 BTU. If you are looking for a product or visiting a place with low temperatures, then this grilling product is the best choice as it is designed to getting your food cook in all temperature ranges.
Up to 14,000 BTU
Do you need experience of taking your grill for a picnic in the summertime and outperform all charcoal BBQ parties? If yes, this product should be your only choice. The 14000 BTU helps acquiring the cooking temperature that lets you cook food in no time. So cook your burgers to perfection before any other ordinary charcoal grill is hot enough to ruin your experience.
Easy to Assemble
The instructions provided with the grill are from bottom up. The explanations are user friendly. The meticulous design of Martin’s portable BBQ gas grill makes it a great choice for family outings. Also, you can easily contact the seller to discuss the different options that come with this grill along with reporting an issue, in case, required.
Some other great features include:
- 14 000 BTU
- Porcelain cooking grid and closing stainless steel lid mean your food gets cooked evenly
- Folding support legs can help you assemble it quickly
- It has an adjustable temperature, so if you like to cook different types of meat, even cooking would ensure that the juices and state is retained each time the steak is grilled or burgers are prepared.
- The solo heat source is U-shaped so it allows heat to flow evenly
- Quick clean grease tray that’s removable
- 354 square inches of top cooking surface, including warming rack
- Piezo ignition system that does not need an external power source
- Easy to clean
- Large cooking space
- No external power required
- Comes with an easy and quick to clean portable grease pan
- Allows up to 14000 BTU heating power
- Single burner
10. Camp Chef PG100 (Best Portable Grill for Boating)
This grill that can tolerate the outdoor conditions extremely well and still give you the best result. It is easy to maintain and clean. Experts that have reviewed this product say that it is one of the best products in terms of quality of cooking and survival in a rugged environment. The product is extremely easy to assemble and maintain. This also makes it a perfect choice for the grill that is easy to clean and quick to use.
The product is meticulously and professionally designed that provides superior durability anyone would prefer in a portable gas grill. The product is 2nd to none as the company accepts no compromises about the quality. The grill is manufactured using 1st-rate materials to ensure exceptional reliability.
Sports Grill Experience
Users like to call this ‘on the go grilling’. This new portable grill is perfect for amazing grilling experience just about anywhere. This sports grill is portable, powerful and light. You can easily take it to the pool or park and use this powerful enough product to cook up a delicious feast for your family and friends.
The grill comes with another great feature of a trap door placed under the fire grill. It is a feasible way to collect debris and ash that also makes it a lot easier to clean even from the inside of the grill.
Some other features include:
- 12,000 BTU stainless steel tube burner
- Auto ignition
- Nickel-plated cooking grates
- Stainless steel lid
- Porcelain-coated base
- The removable grease drip tray
- Good for quick heating of simple foods
- Runs on 1lb disposable propane bottle
- High Temperature
- Easy to clean
- Best for quick and efficient cooking
- Runs a bit on the hot side
Need More Answers?
Since now, you are all set to choose and purchase the best portable gas grill to make the most of your trips. Choose the product that best meets your camping requirements from the mentioned above product reviews. Don’t forget to go through all the features, pros and cons shared in our buyer’s guide.
Indeed, to help you in making the right decision, here are some of the frequently asked questions by the users.
Q1. Are gas grills better than charcoal grills?
It is all a matter of preference, but usually, it is easier to control the temperature in gas grills and it is easy to assemble and use. On the other hand, if you want to operate a charcoal grill, you need a lot of practice as the functions can be quite complicated. However, charcoal grills give more complex and smoky favors so it is up to you and the amount of time you are willing to invest in the process.
Q2. How should I turn off my gas grill?
Just turn off all the burner control knobs on your grill and switch the valve of the propane tank to off position. Still, if you feel that the grill has not been turned off completely, try disconnecting the fuel source and the water supply line and make sure you do so every time after using the grill. Leaving a fuel source or tank attached to the gas grill can be dangerous and therefore, never store propane tanks, indoor.
Q3. What is my grill’s BTU rating?
Almost every buyer is warned about the BTU rating when buying a gas grill and while considering the size in comparison is more important, you still need to ensure the rating is high. It is available on the data label on your grill or in the manual. Still, if you need more information, you can contact the company directly and they will tell you about the pieces in detail.
Q4. Can I make modifications or use grill attachments to the grill?
Well, it is not recommended to make modifications to any type of grill. The same goes for using any attachments that are not particularly offered by the manufacturers. If you make modifications to the grill, it may cause damage to the components, instability, and premature failure of different parts or even increased risk of injury or life. Not to forget this may also void the product warranty.
Even though there are many factors to consider before buying a portable gas grill, products discussed in this guide have got the highest ratings and best reviews from buyers.
So if you are looking for a portable gas grill and are ready to take it to your next destination, use this guide to ensure that your decision is wise and rational. As we have mentioned before, customers need to refer to all the qualities and then consider the price because even though most products offer a lot of features, some of them are needless.
Buy what suits your cooking style and is most suitable for your grilling requirements. For this, the best decision is to consider the proven grills mentioned above and lock the amazing experience of grilling this season!
- Best Gas Grills Under $500 – Reviews & Detailed Buying Guide - May 4, 2020
- Best Propane Gas Grills Under $300 & $400 For Outdoor BBQ Activities - February 17, 2020
- Best Budget Gas Grills Under $200  - February 3, 2020
Last update on 2023-03-21 at 19:59 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API